|Published||September 15, 2023|
Summary of Responsibilities:
As the technical leader of the DevOps Team, the DevOps Engineer will provide enterprise level leadership, operational and technical support for DevOps tooling (i.e., TFS, Git, SonarQube, Visual Studio, Subversion, Eclipse). DevOps Engineer will produce roadmaps, standards and plans for the enterprise installations of DevOps tooling working with Enterprise Architecture, Infrastructure and other stakeholders. In addition, the DevOps Engineer will consult with and train Application Developers on best practices and standards, onboard new applications onto DevOps platforms and collaborate with other stakeholders within the enterprise.
The DevOps Engineer will help drive the business by developing strategies and roadmaps for DevOps tooling and gaining commitment from stakeholders. In addition, will be responsible for designing, configuring, installing, monitoring and maintaining technology in a mission critical environment. Responsibilities also include performing daily system maintenance tasks and participating in on-call duty. The DevOps Engineer is also responsible for providing customer service for all enterprise DevOps tooling users. Works with minimal supervision and is responsible to make an established range of decisions, escalating to Manager when necessary and updating Manager on a regular basis.
- Performs as top-level technical expert in the highly complex area of DevOps. Provides technical and consulting leadership to all levels of management and technical staff.
- Proactively seeks to drive inefficiencies out of development processes and expands the capabilities of the DevOps practice to be able support the broad needs of the development teams. Contributes more than his/her own personal productivity to the teams by continually stepping out of the boundaries of own assignments.
- Directs and guides activities for members of the DevOps team on a daily basis by prioritizing the needs of the customers along with team objectives. Works as project manager and coordinates activities and dependencies with all involved stakeholders to ensure timely delivery. Assumes project/program leadership role when necessary.
- Evaluates and determines feasibility of proposed projects and evaluates new software packages in terms of cost, resources required and system compatibility while incorporating scope and objectives.
- Provides technical training/consulting to other staff at all levels. Mentors other members of the DevOps team as well as other interested developers. Readily shares information on best practices for using tools to increase productivity.
- Educates and provides tracking to ensure compliance with procedures and standards.
- Provides excellent customer service; continuously improves the function area to increase customer satisfaction.
- On-boards application teams’ projects and ensures they are properly configured and successful.
- Guides development teams and other stakeholders to perform maintenance and upgrades and develop product roadmaps for tools.
- Maintains system documentation (i.e., best practices, configuration) for DevOps tools.
- Designs and develops automation scripts to build and deploy applications and systems.
- Conducts proof of concept testing to prove new technologies in support of future state roadmap.
- Works with development teams to ensure compliance with published development standards.
- Maintains tools to ensure they are fully operational in accordance with procedures and standards.
- Manages user access to tools in support of security recommendations.
- Monitors applications throughout the development lifecycle to ensure adequate metrics are gathered and reported.
- Creates, proposes, and implements software development standards with Enterprise Architecture and Information Security.
- Works with Procurement to maintain software development tool licenses.
- Advocates the strategy and manages complex designs for continuous integration and continuous delivery frameworks and tools.
- Researches industry trends and best practices and develops recommendations of technologies and methods to stakeholders at all levels.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- 3-5+ years of experience in system management or software development.
- 3-5+ years of experience in Windows and Linux systems.
- 5-7 years of DevOps tools engineering and support experience.
- Proven extensive DevOps systems engineering, systems management and programming experience.
- Demonstrated significant technology leadership and expertise.
- Proven ability to adapt to a complex environment and be able to organize and lead others quickly for immediate impact.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to all levels of stakeholders, tailoring the content for each of the stakeholders appropriately.
- Proven customer service skills and behaviors.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills, demonstrating the ability to identify, define and quantify problems. Must be able to identify root cause of problems, identify potential solutions and then plan the appropriate steps to resolve the issues.
- Proven team leadership skills working as a senior member of a team working in a complex environment. Planning, coaching and mentoring are necessary.
- Demonstrated abilities for team management, project planning, dependency management and working under timelines. Providing schedules for self and for the team while ensuring activities are completed according to the plan.
- Proven excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to convey information to all stakeholders in a clear, accurate, concise manner.
- Demonstrated understanding of the full Software Development Life Cycle.
- Proven experience with development tools such as TFS, Subversion, SonarQube, SonarLint, Git.
- Demonstrated experience with mainframe tools such as Dimensions, Changeman or ADDI is a plus.
- Proven experience using Powershell, Bash or other scripting languages.
- Demonstrated familiarity with SDLC concepts (i.e., continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps).
- Proven experience in automation of manual processes and scripting related to deployment tasks.
- Demonstrated background in working with cloud technologies like Azure, AWS.
- Proven experience with infrastructure technologies such as network, compute and storage.
- Demonstrated excellent task and time management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate selection criteria experience.
- Works in an office setting and remains in a stationary position for long periods of time while working at a desk, on a computer or with other standard office equipment, or while in meetings.
- Performs frequent keyboarding work requiring the ability to make repetitive motions of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Occasionally moves about to accomplish tasks, particularly moves from one work station to another.
Computer Skills and Knowledge of Hardware & Software Required:
- Familiarity with productivity tools such as Microsoft Visio, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with package management, SDLC orchestration.
- TFS, Subversion, SonarQube, SonarLint, Git, ADDI, Dimensions, Changeman.
Certifications & Licenses (i.e., Series 6 & 63, CPA, etc.):
- None required.
- Extended hours required during peak workloads or special projects.