|Published||October 3, 2023|
About the Opportunity
As the Principal DevOps Engineer, you will be the technical team lead responsible for a successful DevOps framework driving automation, service management, and modernizing Northeasterns approach to IT workloads.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelors degree in Computer Science or closely related subject; an advanced degree is preferred. The Principal DevOps Engineer will be responsible the overall architecture and implementation of all Enterprise IT workloads. As such, the ideal candidate must have experience clearly explaining solutions to complex problems and demonstrate the ability to lead and impart knowledge effectively to IT and Business stakeholders.
This is a multi-tasking environment that demands customer service, communication, and organizational skills. A successful candidate will be motivated, results-oriented, and have a willingness to learn.
At Team ITS, your success matters as much as the mission. Learn more about our flexible, highly dynamic, and values-first culture at careers.its.northeastern.edu.
This position is eligible for remote work.
- Masters or Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent and extensive knowledge of system administration and software engineering
- Deep technical understanding of multiple operating systems
- An advanced background with common automation tools such as Terraform, and Ansible
- Advanced knowledge/experience with infrastructure-as-code (IAC), Containers (Docker/Podman), and container orchestration (Kubernetes/Consul)
- 5+ years experience with AWS
- Proven drive to take responsibility, accountability, and ownership
- Proven ability and desire to mentor, teach people what you know and guide team members learning, including introducing new ideas and technologies
- Proven ability to conceive and lead the delivery of platforms, frameworks, and patterns that help solve problems across multiple products
- Extensive experience evaluating, onboarding, and managing new technologies/services/features
- Proven ability to anticipate business needs and lead a team towards identifying and solving cross-domain problems.
- Deep experience in building highly available large fault-tolerant enterprise distributed systems
- Excellent understanding and experience monitoring tools.
- Excellent understanding and experience with IT compliance and risk management (security, privacy, J SOX, HIPAA, etc.).
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
Maintain and enhance enterprise environment 60%
- Create a roadmap and milestones to achieve a modern IT infrastructure focused on the DevOps principals of automation, continuous improvement, and end to end responsibility
- Lead and mentor team of DevOps engineers
- Move to Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
Create documentation and process improvements 30%
- Heavy focus on automation
- Evaluate, recommend, and build environments and tools to improve/modernize infrastructure
Request fulfillment 10%
- Work with other IT and business owners to process requests
- Troubleshoot issues and remediate
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern Universitys commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.